Friday, April 14, 2006

Where We Are or, State of the Nation

Finally, when the State, close to its ruin, continues to subsist only in an illusory and ineffectual form; when the social bond is broken in all hearts; when the basest interest brazenly adopts the sacred name of the public good, then the general will becomes mute; all - guided by secret motives - are no more citizens in offering their opinions than if the State had never existed, and iniquitous decrees whose only goal is the private interest are falsely passed under the name of laws.

-Jean-Jacques Rousseau (1762), On The Social Contract, Book IV, Chapter I


Monsieur Rousseau elaborated in detail what he meant by general will, but I think you all get the idea.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get dumber with every comment I read from you over at Colorado Pols, just stop for all our sanity's sake.

10:50:00 PM  
Blogger The Plumber said...

I doubt if you could get any dumber.

If you don't like what I believe, you're free to challenge me. My mind can be changed on a number of issues.

My guess is that you don't have the guts.

12:43:00 AM  
Blogger Netai Biswas said...

This area is for all general Plumbing
related questions and answers

1:29:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home