Friday, May 12, 2006

One That Got Away

As most of you know, I don't watch the news or read most newspapers. So it is understandable when a significant news item slides under my radar screen. It wasn't till I checked my email (which I am loathe to do) that I found out about this story from ABC affiliate 7News in Denver.

CASTLE ROCK, Colo. -- Castle Rock police say a man who kidnapped an 18-year-old girl, holding her hostage for three hours, was in the country illegally and had been deported four times.
Pedro Martinez, 24, is being held on $500,000 bond.

The victim of this preventable crime, Amber Scott, says "the incident has forever changed her outlook on life."

"I appreciate things a lot more, like my family and definitely not materialistic things," Scott said.
Now that may be a good argument for the open-borders crowd: being kidnapped at knife point (what else?) and held hostage by an illegal alien has given her a more positive and spiritual outlook on life. We should all be so lucky.

Of course, now she'll be outlooking over her shoulder anytime she sees someone of Latin American descent.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Walter said...

Of course, now she'll be outlooking over her shoulder anytime she sees someone of Latin American descent.

It's quite possible that's true.

It's also possible she's bigger than that and won't succumb to a bigoted impulse. Since I don't know her I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she'll do the right thing.

7:50:00 PM  
Blogger The Plumber said...

maybe. It may be inevitable.

Regardless, the line tied in well with the previous paragraph. And if I must say, it was actually rather humorous.

11:45:00 PM  
Anonymous The Outlander said...

The knife and presumed resulting perception reminded me of an incident the other day. I was in a grocery store somewhere in Colorado and a guy working there was opening boxes on a pallet and putting the contents on the shelves nearby. As he did this a fellow co-worker came up to him and asked him for a boxcutter so he could help out.

Without missing a beat the first guy whipped out his 'boxcutter': A hunting knife with a serrated, curved blade at least four inches in length. The other guy looked it and said, as he took it: 'I didn't know you were a Mexican'.

I'm not, the first guy said. I just act like one.

That says something, that remark. What, I'm not entirely sure I want to know.

9:21:00 AM  
Blogger The Plumber said...

Mexican's like knives. Mostly a result of the lack of guns and ammo in Mexico.

Pay attention to the news. 90% of all stabbings (or more) are by people with Spanish surnames.

12:42:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home